Dance Off The Rails
Client: Knox City Council
This short film showcased a beautiful, original dance production which brought professional choreographers together with abled and disabled dance students in a series of improvised workshops.
Moving and beautiful, our video showed stakeholders how worthwhile their project was. ‘Dance off the Rails’ was an Australian Arts Council funded project that brought professional choreographers together with abled and disabled dance students in a series of improvised workshops. The resulting one-off live show proved the capacity and creativity of the human spirit. The film captured the mood of the 2008 performance and was set to a background of contemporary music. Commissioned by the Knox Community Arts Centre, the DVD was given to participants as an enduring record of their achievement, and was shown to arts bodies for funding compliance. A real test of our new digital video equipment and its light sensitivity, we are proud of the colour, the emotion and the simple storytelling we achieved in this production.
- Produced by:
- Jary Nemo and Lucinda Horrocks
- Production Company:
- Wind & Sky Productions
- Directed and edited by:
- Jary Nemo
- Shannon Bott and Gerard Van Dyck
- Executive Producer:
- Richard Mitchell
- ‘Familiar Ground’, Written by Jason Swinscoe, Performed by The Cinematic Orchestra, Courtesy of Ninja Tune. ‘Agents of the Lounge’, Written by Nic Capelle, Performed by DSA, Courtesy of Nic Capelle.
- Emily Alexander, Peter Basic, Jessica Das, Emma Jennings, Gemma Lazzari, Natasha Mateus, Linda McLeod, Jessica Olle, Stephen Quick, Kathy Rooke, Emily Ryan, Lauren Stannard, Katrina Welsby.
- Camera and sound:
- Jary Nemo
- Sound assistant:
- Lucinda Horrocks
- Performance credits:
- Dance Mentor: Kate Sulan; Project Coordinator: Samara Cunningham; Production Manager: Emily O’Brien; Lighting Technician: Blair Hart; Performing Arts Centre Coordinator: Richard Mitchell; Arts Programmer: Sally Godfrey; Administration Officer: Susan Tickner; Project Assistants: Dion Mould, Peter Kavan, Kathy Rooke.
- Special thanks to:
- Nic Capelle, Jason Swinscoe, DSA, Ninja Tune, The Cinematic Orchestra, Angela Glaister and SoundSauce.
- Additional information:
- Recorded live on 12 July 2008 at the Knox Community and Performing Arts Centre
- Supported by:
- Knox City Council and the Australia Council. This project has been assisted by the Australian Government through the Australia Council, its arts funding and advisory body.
- Distribution license:
- Currently unavailable
- Copyright with:
- © 2009 Wind & Sky Productions Pty Ltd.